A fundamental teaching within the Futurist school is that the contemporary church is largely destroyed amid great pain and suffering ('The Tribulation'), and that it is removed from this world to heaven: 'The Rapture'. The story goes as follows:
- 1. An 'Antichrist' figure gains prominence and eventually all nations of the world come under his control.
- 2. He takes control of all finance and requires all peoples to accept his mark on their hand or forehead to enable financial exchanges to take place. Those who accept the 'Mark of the Beast' are condemned by God to hell.
- 3. A 'Tribulation' breaks out against Christians and severe persecution follows.
- 4. A much-depleted Church is removed to heaven for its survival ('The Rapture' only 7,000 left after the Tribulation).
- 5. An ethnic Jewish church forms spontaneously from non-Christian Jews.
- 6. This new church completes the task of worldwide evangelisation in less than seven years.
- 7. Jesus returns and rules for 1,000 years with this new church from Jerusalem.
- 8. A final battle then takes place - Armageddon.
- 9. Jesus defeats the Antichrist and consolidates his authority over the earth.